April 13, 2009

Verbatim

The following is a transcript of the monologue that occurred in Thomas' room tonight between the time that I left the room and approximately 30 seconds ago. What you are about to read is unedited and may not be suitable for minors.

+++++++++

"Momma, I want to come down now."

"I am getting out of my bed. IT'S MY CHOICE."

"It's so boring in here."

"I want to sleep with my 'brudder'."

"I am going to get out of this dumb bed."

"UggGGHH. I want to get out."

"This bed is hurting my leg."

"Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, GO KU!!!!"

"I am very 'firsty'."

"It's hurting my chest."

"I need someone to come up."

"Actually, it's soooo boring up here."

"I am NOT tired."

"I am NOT going to come down now."

...long silence...much thrashing around...

"I need covered."

...big sigh...more thrashing

"Moooommmmmmmy."

...

(sleep)

+++++++++

At no time during this soliloquy did I engage in one bit of discussion. We had this same type of outburst-laden wind down last night. I think that when his teacher told us he's relishing his new command of language she just might have been on to something.

3 comments:

Rosemary said...

You could write all of these down and label them "Thomas's Nightly Soliloquy." Dictionary.com defines "soliloquy" as "an utterance or discourse by a person who is talking to himself or herself or is disregardful of or oblivious to any hearers present." (Wouldn't you like to meet a "dictionary writer" for real?) I think he's "hoping" there is a hearer, but he just can't stay awake long enough to find out. He'll love reading them when he's "grown up." What a delightful routine! What a delightful little boy!

Kate and Dennis said...

Too funny!

Amber said...

I am personally loving the "Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Go KU!"