In any event, in debate there is an annual resolution. It's a statement that one team affirms and the other tries to negate. It's up for discussion but it's not some crazy statement that someone could prove wrong, per se. Kind of like New Year's Resolutions. There's no right or wrong, I hope, but more just differing ways of approaching them. I had the pleasure of talking with someone at Thanksgiving Dinner this year who suggested that New Year's Resolutions were important, and that we should all have them, but that they shouldn't be punitive. I like that. She also suggested that they shouldn't really be truly measurable. She's an economist for the Federal Reserve Bank so if she says so...
With that I present my New Year's Resolutions.
- Less time in front of a computer - it can't be avoided at work but it can be at home.
- More time in the moment - I have a feeling that #1 will help with that at home.
- More time in pajamas - we've gotten a jump start on this in the last week. I think it's good.
- Good wine, good coffee, good food - if we're gonna do it, let's do it right.
- More flexibility - this incorporates yoga and general spontaneity.
- Less "no" without cause - mostly with my kids but probably just in general.
- More thoughtful action for our earth - I have lovely reusable grocery bags. I should use them, as a start.
- Less waiting for someone else to fix things for me - whether it's hanging a picture or figuring out how to get from figurative point A to point B in life.
- More time in a church sanctuary - this should be easy to achieve.
- More time with people who are really important to me and who like me for who I am and vice versa.
- Less time with people who aren't and don't.
- More pedicures.
- Less complaining - either fix it or love it as it is.
- More action - or, more specifically, less inaction.
We ushered this year in with friends and their kids. It involved some wine, some whining, lots of running, good conversation and some party hats and sparkly leis. We were all asleep before midnight, gaining a jump start on the new year. Madeline didn't get to go to the party so Andrew brought it to her.