July 19, 2008

The King's English

The boys and I planted saguaro cactus seeds today. As we were finishing I explained to Andrew that we wouldn't have a great big cactus right away and that, in fact, it would be several days before we would see anything happen with them so we needed to be patient.

I took the soil and gloves back to the garage and when I returned to the kitchen I found both boys huddled over the tiny plastic pot staring at it. That's when I heard Andrew, in his Andrew way, explaining to his brother:

"Thomas, nothing will happen until the 'several-eth' day so don't be too anxious. You have to wait until the 'several-eth' day."

Someone call Merriam-Webster.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I love this story; it reminds me of telling Wyatt that he only needs to ask for something once and then he looks at me all serious and says, "once." Glad to know that kind of fun won't end for a while!